Basketball Clubs must be prepared to supply referees for their matches where Basketball ACT is unable to provide a referee, so the club encourages both players and parents to become referees by completing a Level 0 Referees course. BACT offers referees courses throughout the year. Players can become referees from the age of 10. More information on how to become a referee and dates of courses can be found on the BACT website at the following links:
To assist junior referees to learn their craft in a safe non aggressive environment, Basketball ACT has implemented a Green Shirt Program.
In addition to helping your club, refereeing offers other benefits including:
- An enjoyable way to spend more time participating in basketball;
- A great way to make new friends;
- Provides leadership skills; and
- It is a great source of income as you get paid by BACT!
- General Game Rules;
- A light hearted instructional video on refereeing floor mechanics and procedures (see below).