REGISTRATION WINTER 2023
REGISTRATION WINTER 2023 SEASON
Registrations are now Open, please register your son via the following link.
To be eligible to represent Marist College Canberra in basketball the player must be a current student of Marist College Canberra or have received a letter of acceptance/offer for 2023.
Fees and Payment
The fee for the 2023 Winter season is a total of $310. This fee is broken into two parts, the BACT fee and the Club fee. (Please note that there is no processing fee associated with registration.)
In deciding the fee the Committee has tried to keep fees as affordable as possible however some changes were required this season as part of moving to a single playing season and BACT fee increases, particularly in team nomination fees.
– BACT Fee: Each player is required to pay a fee of $60.00 per season to BACT. BACT have stated that the fee goes in part to Basketball Australia, with the remainder being used for maintenance of BACT stadiums, competition and corporate management. The Club does not receive any part of this fee.
– Club Fee: The Marist Basketball Club fee, of $250, covers team registration fees, the purchase of uniforms and basketball equipment and club administration fees (including season presentation awards and a gift for each coach).
Full payment (of both fees) is required at the time of registration.
Note: Registration fees are non-refundable. The Club is required to pay team fees to BACT based on registrations and is not in a position to refund registration fees except in extenuating circumstances. Please note a clash of times with another sport is not considered extenuating circumstances. Full details of the club’s refund policy can be found here.
Please contact the Registrar if you need assistance with registration.
Transferring from another Club? (Important if you are new to Marist)
Please contact the Registrar if you need assistance with a transfer registration.
Changes to Season Format
The 2023 JPL competition will consist of a maximum of 10 teams in each age group.
Teams accepted into the 2023 JPL competition will be based on results from the 2022 JPL season in addition to a Grading Tournament. The Grading Tournament is scheduled for 10, 11 and 12 February 2023 with round 1 commencing Term2 2023.
If more than 10 teams nominate for a JPL division, a JPL grading tournament will be required. The teams required to play in the Grading Tournament will be the bottom placed teams from the 2022 JPL Season along with any teams who are seeking to join JPL for the 2023 Season and did not participate in the 2022 Season.
For u19s boys this tournament will be played without the inclusion of the NBAGA players. These players will be allocated to teams once the teams participating in the 2023 Molten JPL competition are determined.
The season will start with 3 weekends of grading rounds. These will be held over the last three weekends in March 2023. This is designed to eliminate the need for teams being moved divisions after the season starts.
Round 1 of the season will commence in Term 2 2023.
Team Selection Process
For more information on selections please visit the Team Selection page.
Grading will be held on the week of 6-10 February 2023 (week 2 Term 1). Further details will be released closer to the time.
Parent Support / Call for Volunteers
Teams rely on the support of volunteers to run the Club, especially as coaches and managers. Without this support teams will not be able to take to the court. Please volunteer! The Club will be unable to field teams that do not have a coach.
To volunteer please click here and complete the expression of interest form.
Playing with Friends
The Club unfortunately, cannot take requests to play in teams with friends for the following reasons:
- It is the College and Club expectation that all teams whether in JPL or division 6 are required to fulfill training and playing requirements for organised sport. Social grade implies that there is no need to train and other commitments take priority.
- All teams are required to have a Coach and are expected to train.
- BACT have a graded competition to support all levels and abilities. We need to respect this aspect of BACT and place teams and players appropriately.
- By placing a team of athletic kids who see it as a social competition, may generate lopsided score lines which can have a negative impact on all participants in our own club and the teams they play.
- Statically it is teams in the lower divisions that we struggle to cover logistically. Potentially generating and promoting this forum will generate a lot more work at the committee level to ensure we can cover these teams.
- As a club we have tried to do this in the past and it resulted in requests from other players who also want to play with their mates and if we can’t accommodate so they drop out. This then has a flow on effect for the Selection Committee with range of issues trying to field teams.
The scheduling of games is at the discretion of BACT and the club has no influence or say on when or where the games are played.
Basketball ACT has provided the following rough guide on game times.
Please note this grid is only a draft and subject to change by BACT once all clubs have finalised their registrations.
Once your son is assigned to a team, the team manager will email you with the details including your training day and time and when your games will be played.
Age groups for the 2023 Winter Season are as follows:
To be eligible to play in an age group a player must be under the required age on the 31st December of the year in which the competition is to be completed (2023). For example a player may participate in Under 19’s provided they do not turn 19 during the year in which the competition is completed (2023).
- Under 12 – born in 2012, 2013
- Under 14 – born in 2010, 2011
- Under 16 – born in 2009, 2009
- Under 19 – born in 2005, 2006, 2007
For information on uniform requirements, please visit the Uniforms page.
If you are new to the club we recommend you visit the uniform shop ASAP to organise your playing shorts to ensure you have them for your first game.
Please check your player profile during the registration process and update your age group, height and jersey size as appropriate.
For more information please visit out Frequently Asked Questions page. If you have any further questions you can contact us by completing the form at the bottom of the Frequently Asked Questions page.